For the Sweet and Sour Sauce:
- 1/4 cup (50 g) sugar I use 2 tbsp sugar and 2 or more tbsp coconut sugar
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 to 3 tbsp rice vinegar
- 1.5 tbsp ketchup
- 2 tsp soy sauce use certified gluten-free tamari to make gf
- 1/2 tsp (0.5 tsp) garlic powder
- 2 tbsp water
We doubled the amount of sauce due to our amount of veggies….
Chickpeas and Veggies:
- 1 tsp oil
- 3 cloves of garlic finely chopped
- 1/2 (0.5 ) large red bell pepper thinly sliced
- 1/2 (0.5 ) green bell pepper thinly sliced
- 1 cup (91 g) small broccoli florets
- 15 oz (425.24 g) chickpeas or 1.5 cups cooked chickpeas
- a generous dash of salt black pepper, cayenne
- 2 tbsp water
- 2 tsp cornstarch or other starch
Mix all the sauce ingredients in a bowl and set aside. You can also add them directly to the pan at step 5.
Heat oil over medium high heat in a large skillet. Add garlic and cook for 2 minutes or until translucent.
Add the peppers and mix in. Cover and cook for 2 minutes.
Add the broccoli and mix in. Cover and cook for 1 minute.
Add the chickpeas, sauce ingredients, a generous dash of salt, black pepper and cayenne. Reduce heat to medium. Cover and cook for 10 minutes.
Taste the sauce carefully and adjust to preference. Add more sour, sugar or salt.
Mix cornstarch in room temperature water and add the mixture to the pan. Mix in. Cover and cook for 2 to 3 minutes until the sauce thickens.
Garnish with sesame seeds, red pepper flakes and scallions and serve with cooked rice or grains of choice.